Monday, June 26, 2006

UCSC Loses a Chancellor

Last week I signed up for a UC-Santa Cruz alumni gathering in downtown Los Angeles. The idea was to have a wine-and-dine for alumni to meet the new chancellor, Denice D. Denton, who joined UCSC last year. Yesterday I heard she tragically plunged to her death from the 42nd floor of the Paramount building in San Francisco in an apparent suicide. Understandably, the Alumni Association cancelled the meeting with Los Angeles alumni. I have to say, I've never had a meeting cancelled due to such circumstances.

Denton seemed like a great catch for UCSC when she was appointed in February 2005. I had been particularly impressed with her advocacy of women and minorities in the sciences. While not one with a track record of supporting the humanities, Denton still seemed like a candidate with a strong administrative background and an asset for UCSC. More information about Chancellor Denton can be found at UCSC's Chancellor Page. I first read about the news of her death in the LA Times, but found more comprehensive coverage at the SF Chronicle's web site.

My sympathies go out to Chancellor Denton's family and friends.

No comments: